Political Tendencies

You may also like...

12 Responses

1. Herman Bos says:

Talking about the US politics and being left or rightwing i would like to say something.

I watched the US presidential debate as well last friday. McCain tried to label Obama as “left” several times in the debate.

Which is quite funny since I consider the democrat party easily more rightwing then the most rightwing party in the netherlands. Our rightwing parties must be “commies” for McCain.

Lets add a little rant about the debate. McCain is the loser if you ask me. On the economical topics, the only thing he could say is that he is against all spending and Obama wanted to burn everyones hard earned pennies.

On the foreign policy he could only say he visited the country in question and he knew how to fix it up without further arguments.

Obama had some really good points also with foreign policy. At least he understand what needs to be done if he wants to keep the american influence dominant around the world. Not that I find that particularly exciting but at least it shows a real standpoint and reasoning. McCain failed on that completely and gave the impression of an old grandpa who only knows better because he is old and fought in the war.

2. Herman Bos says:

I just did the same test and ended up with:
    Economic Left/Right: -4.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26

3. Ante Karamatic says:

It’s interesting to note that in Croatia, for example, left-wing government signed a big deal with Microsoft to take care of all government computers. Conservative government decided to favor open source software wherever it can be applied. And, at the first look, funniest thing is that hard-core-right-party wanted to use only open source software :)

It’s a common mistake to link free software with left political views. It’s true, free software is developed by all kind of people, from all around the world. But… It’s also true that local companies can use the potential of open source software, so that government can favor local companies over foreign. This is a conservative approach.

Bottom line, both left-wing and right-wing parties are closer to each other every day and we already have only left and right center. There isn’t really a big difference. Obama will not stop the war in Iraq. USA needs oil, and this war is about oil, not democracy. :)

4. jldugger says:

Given that the Political Compass is a Libertarian invention, it’s little wonder that the chart says Everyone Is Libertarian.

The wikipedia entry on the Political Compass is sparse, but the Nolan Chart has a good crop of critical thinking.

5. Davidh7426 says:

I did it to, I cannot remember the numbers, but I think I’m sat in the Dalai Lamas chair… (thought it was a bit crowded)…

6. HCl says:

hi jonathan,
    I didn’t read the post you are talking about in detail, but it made me think about republican ubuntu users.
    Maybe there where a lot of comments because being a political conservative and at the same time a FLOSS developer is a very contradictory situation. Political conservatives tend to have egoistic political/social positions about foreign policies (e.g. http://vorian.org/?p=244), about civil liberties, immigration, gay rights, etc, … and that is in complete contradiction with the very generous posture of being a FLOSS developer.
    I don’t know. human beings are very contradictory, and I think that those kinds of dichotomies are actually very common.

7. Jordan Mantha says:

So I came out as:
    Economic Left/Right: 3.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.51

So I’m guessing that’d explain why I was excited about Palin and not a lot of other FLOSS people were. :-)

8. Julian says:

conservatives = economic freedom = open source
    liberals = freedom of thought = free software

People agree on EU being more liberal and the US being more conservative (US meaning of those words) so this might be interesting as well: http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/24/1420214

9. Scott says:

I thought this was used for some time by libertarians at state fairs to cow people into thinking we’re all libertarians.

10. The Political Quiz is woefully flawed because it posits a false dichotomy: you’re either an authoritarian wanting to regulate everyone’s fun, or a libertine who says, “go have your fun.”

A libertarian friend once said, “I don’t care what you do, just don’t make me pay for it.” My response is, “I don’t care who pays for it, just expect me to be on your case about it.”

Maybe the answer to problems like global warming or disease-spreading promiscuity has nothing to do with the state. But I think it does have to do with folks getting on others’ cases about irresponsible behavior.

A better quiz would involve different axes, like statism/libertarianism vs. status-quo-preserving and status-quo-tearing-down. See the World’s Smallest Morality Quiz:

11. Right libertarian says:

HCI: Your claim that socialists* are more generous than conservatives** is simply not true. Counter example: Conservatives donate more to charity than socialists.

Footnotes to avoid a flame war:
    * Not trying to insult anyone. If they use another name like liberals, progressive or something else in your country just imagine I wrote that instead.
    ** I am a right libertarian myself but I don’t like attacks based on lies against conservatives